Updates and Reminders
OCSEA's Convention is just over a month away. Here are some helpful reminders regarding registration, start times and more as you prepare your chapter's delegates for the upcoming event:
- The deadline to submit registration/credential forms for delegates/alternates is Aug. 5 by 5 p.m. Please do not wait until the last minute. If there are any unforeseen discrepancies, registrations could be invalidated and delegates will have to go before the Credentials Committee at Convention, delaying their participation.
- The hotel registration deadline is Aug. 6. However, delegates should not wait until the last minute as rooms at the Hyatt sell out quickly. Once the Hyatt is full, delegates can book at the the Crown Plaza, which is located across the street from the Hyatt.
- Early check-in for the event is Wednesday, Aug. 28 from 5-9 p.m. on the Haytt's Second Floor; Registration on the first day of Convention, Thursday, opens at 8 a.m.
- The General Session is in Batelle Hall and starting times are as follows: Thursday, Aug. 29 - 10 a.m.; Friday, Aug. 30 - 9:30 a.m.;
Saturday, Aug. 31 - 9:30 a.m.
- The New Delegates Workshop will take place Wednesday night at 8-9 :15 p.m. and Thursday morning from 8-9:15 a.m. Please only attend one session and arrive early as seats fill up quickly. This workshop is located in the Hyatt's Union Room A & B.
By now, a large number of chapters have already held their OCSEA Convention delegate elections. If your chapter HAS finalized your convention delegate selection, OCSEA is encouraging you to mail in all delegate registration/credential materials immediately. Quick registration by subordinate bodies will aid the union in the timely processing of delegates and make sure that registration at convention goes as smooth as possible. The deadline to submit registration forms (white-delegate/yellow-alternate) is Aug. 5 at 5 p.m. Anyone who does not register by the deadline will be considered LATE and will have to go before the Credentials Committee upon arrival to convention to be approved for convention participation.
Please include delegate email addresses with registration as documents will be sent to attendees’ emails during the convention.
Lodging is available at the Hyatt Regency, 350 North High St., Columbus. For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at 614-463-1234 or go online HERE. The room block is under the Ohio Civil Service Employees Association. The Room rate is $169.00 plus tax for single, double and triple occupancy. The deadline for hotel reservations is August 6, 2019. The hotel fills up quickly, so register immediately.
The overflow hotel is the Crown Plaza, located at 33 E. Nationwide Blvd;
Phone: (614) 461-4100
Volunteer singers needed for convention
OCSEA is looking for two singers to participate in convention open ceremonies on the mornings of Thursday, Aug. 29 and Friday, Aug. 30. If you love to sing (or know of another OCSEA member who does) and would like to volunteer to sing either the National Anthem or America the Beautiful at convention, please email Gina Ison at email@example.com as soon as possible to make arrangements.
Official Convention Call
The official notice for convention was mailed on March 1, 2019, to the OCSEA State Board of Directors and all chapter, district and assembly presidents and secretaries. The official Convention Call was mailed out to Chapter Presidents and Secretaries on March 22, 2019, with details on convention, registration information and the preliminary count of delegates per subordinate body.
A confirmation notice will be mailed out to individuals and chapters in late June. If you do not receive a letter, your delegate count remained the same as indicated in Convention Call mailed in March.
Convention delegate elections
The OCSEA and AFSCME Constitutions require that all delegates who attend the OCSEA Conventions must be elected in the same manner as officers are elected. To participate in your chapter's delegate election, either by running as a delegate or voting for delegates, you must attend your chapter's advertised delegate election event. View the chapter delegate election dates printed in the Spring edition of the OCSEA magazine HERE. If you do not see your chapter listed, a post card may have been sent to your home. If you are still unsure, contact your chapter leaders ASAP for the date, time and location of your chapter's delegate election. All members in good standing can run to be a delegate.